HOW TO APPLY
Applications for both the Primary and the Secondary course should be submitted via the UCAS website.
Places are limited and recruitment takes place on a rolling basis. Once the number of students accepted reaches the course limit, courses will be closed. We recommended that you apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on the course of your choice.
The School Direct courses that we are running for 2018/19 are detailed below.
|Modern Foreign Languages||29F7|
- You must be an honours graduate of an approved university or other institution granting equivalent qualifications acceptable both to York St John University and the National College for Teaching and Leadership.
- For Secondary applicants your degree must have significant components of direct relevance to the subject applied for.
- You must have an A Level in the subject you wish to teach.
- All applicants require GCSE grade C or above in English Language and Mathematics
- Primary applicants also need a GCSE grade C or above (or equivalent) in Science.
- Ideally you should have at least 10 days relevant and recent classroom experience before you apply. You can contact us to arrange or discuss school experience placements.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for student teachers who
- have a passion for teaching and a love of learning
- are enthusiastic , combined with excellent organisational skills
- have the ability to reflect and develop as critical professionals;
- can express ideas clearly and succinctly
- show personal initiative and can work well with peers, pupils, tutors, staff and parents alike.
How we select our student teachers
Selection is based on evidence provided throughout the application process including your personal statement, references, a detailed breakdown of degree content and details of other academic, professional or vocational qualifications,
Interview days will typically include
- a short teaching activity,
- an individual personal interview
- a group activity (depending on number of candidates)
- a literacy based task
- a pupil guided tour of a school
At the interview stage your personal qualities as well as your academic qualifications will be considered in helping us identify and meet your training needs.
Please remember, at the point of application you should ideally have your professional skills tests booked. The Department for Education professional skills tests in Literacy and Numeracy must be completed before commencing your course. All successful applicants will also need to obtain an enhanced DBS check and the successful completion of a medical questionnaire